http://www.phbroughton.com/index.php

Our History


scan0001.jpg
 
          The Broughton name has long been prominent in Springfield for excavation and paving. After working for other contractors building railroad grades, roads, and hauling, in 1921 Perry H. Broughton established his own company. Broughton used horses, bottom dump wagons, and slips for hauling, constructing railroad embankments, and highways. He also hauled coal and dug basements for houses and commercial buildings. Broughton, who began using trucks in the mid-1920s, sold his last team of horses in 1932. Houses going up around the new Lake Springfield in the 1930s provided the firm with plenty of foundation work. Leora Broughton partnered with her husband, managing the company's books. The Broughtons had three sons, Bill Bob, And Donald. The two older began working in their early teens, driving trucks and making coal and rock deliveries. Their contri­bution was reflected by the company's name change to P.H. Broughton & Sons. With our nation at war, Bill and Bob began serving their country in World War II in 1941. In 1946, with the help of their GI Bill the company added two airborne bulldozers, new trucks, a front shovel, and crawler endloader. They built basements, supplied, and hauled rock and shale for new roads at Capital Airport and numerous subdivisions.  The firm, which had been located behind the family home on Cleveland Avenue since 1933, moved to its own facility on Dorlan Avenue in 1951, then in 1956, to its present location on North Lincoln Avenue. The company expanded their business with the addition of oil trucks, chip spreaders, and a cold mix asphalt plant. In 1957 the company's main focus changed with the addition of a hot mix plant and portable plant enabling them to expand their paving operation to a 80-mile radius around Springfield.

          In 1964 PH. Broughton passed away. His wife Leora, who had always been an integral part of the business, and her sons continued expanding the operation with the addition of a ready mix plant and a sand and gravel pit. By 1973, it seemed prudent to separate the businesses so Leora and Bill retained ownership of P.H. Broughton & Sons, Inc. with Bill handling the duties of chief operating officer. Bob took ownership of the ready mix operation and Donald assumed ownership of Sangamon Valley Sand and Gravel. But close family affiliations continued across company lines with Bob and Donald remaining associated with the paving department of P. H. Broughton & Sons. s. In 1991 Donald left PH. Broughton & Sons to devote his attention full time to Sangamon Valley Sand and Gravel. Bob Broughton died in 1994, Bill in September 1999 and Leora in October 1999. Bill's sons, Perry and John, have been active in the construction business in the Springfield area doing earth excavation, heavy highway, and site work. With the passing of their father, they added their expertise in management and field skills to  run P. H. Broughton & Sons, bringing this 88-year-old company into the 21st Century. Through the years, many grandchildren and other family members have worked at the company in diverse roles. In the spring of 2001, Perry and Leora's great­grandson, Joshua, joined the company thereby continuing the P. H. Broughton legacy .
0
paver4.jpg